13 Reasons Why You Worry About Friday the 13th
Are you feeling unlucky this year? Maybe it has something to do with the three Friday the 13th days we’ve got on the calendar this year! We’re only in March, but we’ve already had our second Friday the 13th. In case you’ve been feeling “off” in some way today, here’s 13 bits of trivia from Friday the 13ths of years past to get you through the day.
1. Fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13. Try saying that five times fast!
2. On Friday the 13th of October 1307, French King Philip IV issued a warrant for the arrest of Knights of the Templars, and masses of the Templars were tortured or executed.
3. Feeling superstitious at dinner tonight? In Paris, you can hire a quatorzieme, or a professional 14th guest.
4. The British Navy, according to legend, built a ship named Friday the 13th (the HMS Friday). It set sail on Friday the 13th and was never heard from again.
5. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of the month, nor would he host 13 guests at a meal.
6. In 2008, Dutch statisticians have found that Friday the 13th is actually safer than other Fridays – fewer accidents, reports of fire and thefts occur on Fridays that are the 13th.
7. In a traditional hangman’s noose, there are 13 twists of the rope and 13 steps to the gallows.
8. Al Capone was sentenced to jail on a Friday the 13th.
9. On Friday the 13th in July 1951, “The Great Flood” killed 24 people, destroyed more than 2 million acres of land in Kansas and cost $760 million in damage.
10. Many building don’t count their 13th floor. They skip from 12 to 14.
11. Some say that Friday the 13th is the day Eve offered Adam forbidden fruit and the day that Jesus was crucified.
12. Others believe Friday the 13th comes from Judas Iscariot, the 13th guest at the Last Supper.
13. According to numerologists, 13 is a bad number because of its position behind 12, which is considered a complete number.
It’s not all bad luck, though. One couple won the lottery on a Friday the 13th – and that was after breaking a mirror that morning! Use this as motivation to overcome your fears. What will you accomplish this year? We would suggest trying to reconnect with friends/family through face to face interaction. It's time to put down the electronic devices and live in the moment with your friends and family. After bowling a few frames with your family and friends, you’ll forget all about your worries. Give it a try today! We have lanes available tonight as one of our Monday leagues finished up last week. We are going to start having more lanes available during the week as our winter leagues begin finishing up.
*Information courtesy of LiveScience.com, Huffington Post, and History.com.